by Brian Washington
Take Action ›
Tell Betsy DeVos: Your voucher plan harms students. Click here›
UPDATED: Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who has showed on several occasions she is unqualified for her new post, appeared this week before a U.S. Senate committee to talk about the Trump-DeVos education budget—which educators say is a blueprint to harm students and public schools. Check out her testimony in its entirety below.
Below are some DeVos testimony highlights:
Also check out the Trump-DeVos budget plan in its entirety. For those short on time, the some of the plan’s destructive points are listed below–in terms of what it would do:
- Cuts the federal investment in education programs in FY2018 by 13.6 percent;
- Cuts $10.6 billion in federal education initiatives overall;
- Eliminates 22 education programs;
- Cuts $1.2 billion from after-school programs;
- Cuts $27 million from arts education;
- Cuts IDEA (special education funding) by $133 million;
- Cuts $2.1 billion from funding to reduce class sizes (which is key for providing the one-on-one attention students need to succeed) and support professional development for educators; and
- More than $700 million in cuts to college loans for low-income students.
Trump and DeVos also want to take more scarce resources away from our public schools—where 90 percent of the nation’s children are enrolled—and funnel them into private and/or religious schools that are unaccountable to the public. We’re talking more than $1 billion.
This budget will harm every working family in America. That’s why we need education activists nationwide to contact their lawmakers on Capitol Hill and urge them to reject the Trump-DeVos budget.
Last month, after DeVos went before a committee in the House to tout her and her boss’ destructive spending plan. NEA President Lily Eskelsen Garcia, a Utah educator who represents about 3 million educators nationwide, issued the video below describing how education activists could make their voices heard. Check it out…and take action! We cannot allow Trump and DeVos to ruin our students’ futures.