by Jeremy Deaton
These bizarre laws on education are somehow still on the books!
- In Athens, GA, it is illegal to read a book to your friends after 2:45 am.
- In West Virginia, children may not attend school if their breath smells of “wild onions.”
- In Alaska, a child is not allowed to build a snowman taller than him or herself at school.
- In Arkansas, teachers with a bob in their hair may forfeit pay raises.
- In Fresno, CA, elementary schools are forbidden from hosting poker tournaments.
- New York City has banned the words “dinosaurs,” “Halloween,” “birthdays,” and “dancing” from city-issued standardized tests.
- In Cumberland, MD, It is illegal to curse on a playground.
- In Cerritos, CA, it is against the law to bring your dog to school.
- In Florida, it is against the law to transport livestock on a school bus.
- In Cheyenne, WY, it is against the law to spit on the steps of a school.
Know of any crazy education laws in your state or city? Let us know in the comments below!