Here’s where you are needed now:
- To nominate educators in your community and recognize them as a classroom superhero, visit classroomsuperheroes.com.
- Follow us on Twitter and tweet using the hashtag “#stopteacherbashing“
- Join the ongoing conversation by becoming a ‘fan’ of Speak up for Education and Kids on Facebook ‘“ a community of educators and concerned citizens ‘“ now more than 40,000 strong!
With the release of ‘Waiting for Superman’, there is a lot of talk about how to make schools better in America. We all appreciate the attention to the work we do every day in public schools, but many are disappointed that the debate has recently been dominated by silver-bullet solutions to wide-spread issues. We can only make our public schools better for all students if educators are driving the debate.
It’s time to Speak Up!
America needs you in the debate, on the discussion boards and in the public forum. What do you see every day on your school bus, in the classroom and after school. We need your positive input, ideas and best practices to be a part of today’s growing debate. We know that it’s hard, but we also know that educators are the everyday heroes, who stand ready to transform our schools and ensure that a great public education is America’s priority.
NEA Vice President Lily Eskelson comments on ABC News
Here’s how NEA members and other education activists are Speaking Up:
- An Upset Educator’s Letter to Oprah – ‘Ask teachers.’
- Sneak Peak of California Teachers Association’s interview with David Guggenheim
- Ed Weeks’s Anthony Cody, “How WOULD a Journalist Cover Education Nation” and “The REAL Thieves of Hope: America’s War on Teachers”
- Teacher Ken on Daily Kos, “The problem with NBC’s Education Nation – where are the voices of parents and teachers?”
- Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting, “First, Bash the Teachers – Media find a scapegoat for educational failure”
- The Nation, “Grading ‘Waiting For Superman'”
What We're Reading
- 04/07/2016 "Washington Education Association to join challenge to new charter school law in court" – Fox 13
- 04/08/2016 "Snyder sued over Michigan emergency district management" – Education Dive
- 04/12/2016 "The Trump Effect: The Impact of the Presidential Campaign on Our Nation's Schools" – Southern Poverty Law Center
- 04/15/2016 "Eisenhower teacher to meet Secretary of Education on behalf of undocumented students" – Chicago Tribune
- 04/17/2016 "California Virtual Academies: Is online charter school network cashing in on failure?" – Mercury News