GOP Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney and Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan,
We, the undersigned, understand that investments in education are investments in America’s economy and future. We believe that every student has the right to a high quality public education.
Mitt Romney has:
- Said that “[lowering] classroom size may actually hurt education more than it helps.”
- Supported school vouchers saying, “Promote school choice, with vouchers…”
- Attacked collective bargaining, saying, “My friends in Ohio are fighting to defend crucial reforms that the state has put in place to limit the power of union bosses…I stand with John R. Kasich and Ohio’s leaders as they take on this important fight.”
Paul Ryan has:
- Crafted a budget that blocks access to higher education and slashes early education
- Voted against a $2,500 tax credit for college students
- Authored a budget that opposes increases in Special Education and teacher quality programs and voted against education funding to help avoid teacher layoffs.
We know that this is not the right track for America. An investment today in public education and America’s students is also an investment in America’s economic future. That is why we are calling on you to rethink your education policies and ensure every student has access to great public schools and the American dream.
What We're Reading
- 07/01/2014 "Harris v. Quinn Symposium: Abood and the limits of cognitive dissonance '" – SCOTUSBlog.com
- 07/01/2014 "Nutrition Group Lobbies Against Healthier School Meals It Sought, Citing Cost" –NYT
- 07/06/2014 "Teachers threaten to derail Wi-Fi push" – The Hill
- 07/07/2014 "ALEC Politicians Caught Plagiarizing ALEC Bill, Drafting Error and All" – PR Watch
- 07/13/2014 "Teachers — and taxpayers — need the protections tenure offers" – Grand Forks Herald