One Dream: Share Your Inspiring DREAMer Story
One Dream: Inspiring Educator Voice for DREAMer Students
- Write a story that tells us how the nation’s broken immigration system has obstructed the education of a current or past student of yours.
- The story should be about how our immigration system has disrupted the education and life of a hard-working student.
- The story must be written and submitted by a National Education Association (NEA) member (teacher, education support professional, higher education faculty and staff, substitute educator, retired educator, administrator, or student).
- The story should be no longer than 250 words.
Story Selection Criteria
A panel of at least three judges employed by NEA whose expertise includes education, immigration and communications will select an “Inspiring Educator Voice” from among the stories submitted online by the deadline. The stories will be judged on:
- How compelling and well written they are.
- Their relevance to the theme of “Common Sense Immigration Reform Now.”
- The top three finalists will be contacted by NEA staff prior to selection for a brief interview. The “Inspiring Educator Voice” will be selected from among the three finalists on the basis of the criteria above as well as his or her ability to communicate the story and the urgency of comprehensive immigration reform for students.
- The writer of the selected story shall agree to attend the National Immigration Reform Rally and Day of Action on Wednesday, April 10, 2013, in Washington, D.C.
- The selected writer will be notified by phone no later than Monday, April 1, 2013.
- The writer of the selected story shall agree to be interviewed by NEA staff for use in communications to NEA members and members of the public.
- The writer of the selected story will be provided transportation to and from Washington, D.C., and two nights lodging (April 8 and 9).
- NEA shall reimburse the educator’s employer for the three days (April 8, 9 and 10) of its employee’s work time.
- Stories must be submitted online at www.educationvotes.org/immigration “One Dream: Share Your Inspiring DREAMer Story” no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Thursday, March 28.
- Do not use profanity or personal attacks.
- Submissions shall not expressly identify the student or students.
- Submissions must be true.
- Submissions shall not promote or demean a political party or elected official.
- Stories should represent the original ideas of the entrant.
- No story may depict harmful or illegal activity, or offensive subject matter as determined at our sole discretion.
- No story shall portray NEA or its affiliates in a negative light.
- There will be only one round of judging to select three finalists and one round of interviews to select the final Educator Voice.
- Odds of selection depend on the number of stories received.
- There is no cost to participate. Stories may be mailed or delivered to the sponsor at the address below, “Attention: Inspiring Educator Voice,” if online submission is not possible. All entries must be received by the deadline.
- The retail value of the travel and employer reimbursement provided will be determined on the basis of the selected educator’s transportation and salary costs. These reimbursements are non-transferable.
- By submitting a story, the writer certifies that he or she meets all eligibility requirements and agrees to serve as NEA’s “Inspiring Educator Voice” and to accept and be bound by the decision of the judges and all terms of these official rules.
- By submitting a story, the writer agrees to release, discharge, and hold harmless NEA and its partners and affiliates, and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives, from any claims, losses, and damages arising from or related to their participation.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old and residents of the United States.
- NEA is not responsible for technical problems that result in an educator’s inability to submit a story or a lost entry.
- Employees, officers, directors, and agents of NEA, and the parents, spouses, and children of the foregoing, are not eligible to participate.
- NEA will publicly release the selected educator’s name no later than April 10, 2013.
- Void where prohibited by law.
“One Dream: Inspiring Educator Voice for DREAMers” is sponsored by the National Education Association, 1201 16th Street NW, Suite 510, Washington, D.C. 20036; Telephone 202-833-4000.