Far too many students are learning in schools with leaky roofs and peeling paint in overcrowded classrooms with out-of-date or no technology. Senator Brown (D-OH) and Representative DeLauro (D-CT) have introduced the Fix America’s Schools Today Act (S. 1597/H.R. 2948), which would provide needed funds to ensure students the learning environments so essential to their success. A bi-partisan group of politicians in Virginia has also called for a reworking of federal tax policy to support school modernization in an Op-Ed published by Politico.
Indoor Air Quality: Our Students Deserve Better
NEA Members Talk School Modernization
|Jossette Threatts – Dover, Delaware
Para-educator talks emergency evacuations for burst pipes.
|Karen Blackwood – Urbana, Maryland
Instructional assistant says her elementary houses 998 students, only built for 675.
|Lynn Witts – Polson, Montana
Para-professional says roof leaks, humidity causing health problems for students.
|Joseph Leonard Almaguer – Las Cruces, New Mexico
Electrician says old electrical systems can’t handle powering classroom computers.
|Stephone Avery – Camden, Arkansas
Head custodian says school infrastructure needs complete overhaul, can’t continue to patch systems indefinitely.
|Debbie Solis – Westminster, Colorado
School bus monitor says manually pumping wheelchair lifts on older buses scares her special needs students.
|Stacy Yanko – Hopatcong, New Jersey
Library assistant says mold and air quality issues caused by hurricane Irene are effecting asthmatic students.
|Dianna Beatty – Colorado Springs, Colorado
Math teacher says broken windows aren’t being replaced, other repairs delayed due to fear of asbestos.
Education Votes Coverage of School Modernization
- School Building Don’t Stay Sound Without a Sound Funding Foundation
- Community Colleges Need Help F.A.S.T.
- NEA Spotlights Urgent Need for School Modernization
- Education Support Professionals Talk School Modernization
- NEA Members Talk School Modernization With President Obama
- Community Colleges Welcome Modernization Act
- Tell your Members of Congress to put Americans back to work and ensure our children get the education they deserve by supporting school modernization and passing the Fix America’s Schools Today (FAST) Act.
- Share your school modernization story — We need your stories to help put pressure on Members of Congress to do the right thing.
What We're Reading
- 06/10/2013 "Governor signs bill to reduce high school testing, overhaul graduation requirements" – Dallas Morning News
- 06/10/2013 "Scott Walker’s Wisconsin Falls To 49th In Economic Outlook" – The National Memo
- 06/17/2013 "Justices strike down citizenship provision in Arizona voter law" – CNN
- 06/17/2013 "The Fight to Fix Public Education Has Finally Reached a Boiling Point" -TakePart.com
- 06/19/2013 "Education Department tells states they could get more time to fulfill reform promises" – Washington Post