Dear Elected Officials,
I urge you to stand up for the middle class and support closing corporate tax loopholes at the federal and state level, so that additional resources can be invested in public education and other services that build our communities.
Corporate tax loopholes are costing our schools and communities resources that would help the next generation achieve the American Dream. At a time when middle class Americans and small businesses are suffering, large, multi-national corporations are earning record profits and paying little to no money in taxes that are intended to support the communities where they do business.
Instead of robbing children of opportunities and services they need to succeed, corporations must invest in future generations by paying their fair share.
- At the federal level, support tax reform that would close corporate tax loopholes and require more complete public disclosure of corporate income and tax payments than currently mandated.
- At the state level, support legislation that keeps corporations from shifting profits to low-tax burden states and require full disclosure of state and local incentives to corporations to ensure they pay their fair share to the states and communities where they do business.
What We're Reading
- 01/30/2014 "State pension obligations can be crushing but corporate welfare cost more" – Washington Post
- 02/05/2014 "Colorado poll: Majority favor allowing staff to carry guns in school" — The Denver Post
- 02/06/2014 "Trust Minnesotans, not outside franchises, on school reform" – Star Tribune
- 02/18/2014 "States sued over education funding" – Stateline
- 02/28/2014 "Prezi And Adobe Join Obama’s ConnectED Tech Initiative For US Classrooms" – TechCrunch