Educators and parents alike want carefully designed assessments that fairly evaluate student growth and help improve teacher practices.
However, current high-stakes testing introduced by No Child Left Behind has led to many schools narrowing the curriculum, teaching to the test, reducing love of learning, pushing students out of school and driving teachers out of the profession. These tests have been pushed in the name of accountability without producing useful data and constantly used as a shallow measure for teacher performance.
Representatives in the House have pushed new legislation to combat over-testing, but it’s important to tell Congress why this fight is so critical.
How have you seen high-stakes standardized tests affect your students or your own children? What can local, state and national policy makers do to help? If you’re organizing a protest or petition, be sure to tell us about it!
Submission of your entry constitutes permission for NEA to use your name, story, and other submitted information in connection with NEA’s high stakes testing campaign. We may, for example, provide compilations of your comments to national leaders and other individuals participating in our efforts, without disclosing email addresses or personally identifying information. We may also make comments along with your city and state available to the press and public online. In addition, by clicking submit, you are expressing your consent for your comments or stories to be used in any future NEA publications. Education Votes and affiliated groups will send you updates on this and other important campaigns by email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so.
What We're Reading
- 08/19/2015 "2016 Presidential Candidate Comparison" – National Education Association
- 09/16/2015 "Right to work is wrong" – St. Louis American (by state Sen. Jamilah Nasheed)
- 09/22/2015 "Scott Walker’s Exit Shows Limits of ‘Super PAC’ Money Model" – New York Times
- 09/30/2015 "Clinton to call for nixing ‘Cadillac Tax’ on health plans under Obamacare" – Washington Post
- 09/30/2015 "Governors, Teachers Unions to Congress: Fix NCLB" – US News