by Brian Washington
Take Action ›
Pledge to stand up for students in Election 2018. Click here ›
Education voters definitely want to know a gubernatorial candidate’s position on the issues. However, they are also curious about a candidate’s personality and what they’re like off the campaign trail. Colorado gubernatorial candidate Cary Kennedy gave us a glimpse into those areas when she sat down to answer 20 questions Education Votes asked to get a sense of the woman behind the campaign.
1. Who was the most influential educator in your life?
Answer: My High School English teacher who taught me to love good literature.
2. Name some of the songs on the soundtrack of your life?
Answer: Wild Horses, The Rolling Stones – it’s my ringtone!
3. What is your go to emoji?
4. What subject in school gave you the most trouble?
5. Which classes did you like the best?
Answer: English and Art
6. Your best advice for a student graduating from college?
Answer: Call for the job interview. Call again. Call again. Call 11 more times. When they don’t call you back it’s because they’re busy, not because they don’t want to talk to you. Call again.
7. What’s your favorite stress reliever?
8. What is your most treasured memento?
Answer: My kids’ baby pictures.
9. A book you’d like to read again someday is?
Answer: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Answer: Former governor, living in the mountains.
11. The app you just can’t live without?
Answer: Find my Friends to check-up on the whereabouts of my teenagers.
12. When you’re thirsty, you reach for?
Answer: Water, but if it’s after five a margarita.
13. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Answer: Gummy bears
14. What is one thing you’d like to learn this year?
Answer: Where my daughter is going to go to college (she is a senior in high school)
15. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
Answer: I like to paint watercolor
16. What was your favorite book to read to your children?
Answer: Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
17. Who are your heroes?
Answer: Barack and Michelle Obama, Nelson Mandela, FDR
18. How did you make your first dollar?
Answer: Busing tables at the Eggshell, a breakfast restaurant
19. What quote do you live by?
Answer: “You must do the things you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
20. What brings you the greatest joy?
Answer: My family