SJA of the Year: Eligibility and Nominations Guidelines
To nominate someone for NEA’s Social Justice Activist of the Year Award, please read this page in its entirety before submitting the nomination form.
To facilitate our verification, please be sure to include the membership ID or last four digits of the Social Security Number of the nominee.
- NEA accepts nominations without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or national or
- All NEA members, regardless of member or job classification, of an NEA state/local affiliate or bargaining unit who have been members for 2 years as of January 15, 2017 are eligible. Nominees must be an “active” member at the time of nomination
- Association staff (National, state or local) are not eligible for nomination.
NOMINATION and SELECTION PROCESS
Nomination Criteria – Nominations that do not meet these criteria may not be considered
- Nominations will be accepted from NEA members, state or local affiliates, or recognized cauc
- Any NEA member, state or local affiliate can nominate an individual member or team of up to three members for the award.
- Nominees should be the principle organizer(s) of a campaign or social and/or racial justice action
- Nominees should demonstrate engagement in social and/or racial justice activism with members, parents, community and/or community stakeholders and partners on issues such as:
- Immigration Justice
- School Discipline/School to Prison Pipeline
- Equity & Opportunity in Education
- Racial Justice
- Positive School Climate
Selection and Voting
- The Selection Committee will review all nominations to ensure that eligibility and submission requirements are met.
- The Selection Committee will identify the top nominations (up to five). The top nominations will be announced as finalists and posted online at which time online voting begins.
- Educators and public education allies and partners are permitted to vote.
- The finalist with the most votes by the deadline will be announced as the award winner at the Joint Conference.