The time has come for Congress to craft a fair, flexible, and innovative education law that can bring about sustainable positive change for all of America’s public school students, while maintaining the goals of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), also known as No Child Left Behind, which focus on equity and shared responsibility.
All students deserve great public schools and Congress has a responsibility to ensure the appropriate support and policies so that all students are given an opportunity for an education that allows them to thrive.
A new ESEA should:
- Promote innovation, high expectations, and encourage development of 21st century skills in public schools.
- End the obsession with high-stakes, poor-quality tests by developing high-quality assessment systems that provide multiple ways for students to show what they have learned.
- Support schools with needed resources, especially school districts in the most need, and should not impose vouchers that drain money from local public schools.
- Promote public education as a shared responsibility of parents, communities, educators, and policymakers.
- Help empower educators to focus on what’s important: student learning and achievement.
By signing this petition, I am telling Congress to do the right thing on ESEA and make all students and their education a top priority.
Disclaimer: We do not share the information you’ve given us with unaffiliated groups without your explicit permission. We will not make any of your information publicly available, but we may transmit it to members of Congress and to the President as part of a petition. Education Votes will send you updates on this and other important campaigns by email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so.