Posted In: Future Educators, Higher Education, Uncategorized

Share your story: Degrees Not Debt

Tuition, textbooks, housing, meal plans…the cost of obtaining a college degree continues to escalate with no end in sight. Tuition is rising, debt is growing and students are the ones suffering.

How have rising costs affected you? Are you one of the millions of Americans affected by student debt? Whether you’re a student, a parent or an educator, please share your story. Make sure Congress and voters know how paying too much for school hurts all of us.

At a time when post-secondary education has become even more important, students and their families are scrambling to pay for that education. We jeopardize our future, as a nation and as a global competitor; if we do not help our future leaders realize their potential.  We must ensure a college and post-secondary education is affordable and attainable.

Over the last 20 years, the cost of higher education has shifted dramatically from the state to the student, and the burden on students and their families is growing:

• When the Pell Grant program was first created, the maximum grant for the poorest students covered over 80 percent of the cost of a public four-year college.  Today, it doesn’t even cover 40 percent.
  • Average cost of tuition at a public college increased 4.8% this past year, following increases of 8.4% in 2011-12 and 8.0% in 2010-11, but median household income has fallen 8 percent since 2007.
  • Two-thirds of college seniors who graduated in 2011 had student loan debt, with an average of $26,600 per borrower. Meanwhile, unemployment for young college graduates remained high at 8.8 percent in 2011.
  • In 2012 total student loan debt surpassed $1 trillion. Unlike most forms of debt, student loan debt cannot be erased through bankruptcy.
Submission of your entry constitutes permission for NEA to use your name, story, and other submitted information in connection with NEA’s “Kids Not Cuts” campaign. We may, for example, provide compilations of your comments to national leaders and other individuals participating in our efforts, without disclosing email addresses. We may also make comments along with your city and state available to the press and public online.  In addition, by clicking submit, you are expressing your consent for your comments or stories to be used in any future NEA publications.
Education Votes will send you updates on this and other important campaigns by email. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from our email list, you may do so.

1. MackK

I rolled my graduate student loan debt from law school into our mortgage when we moved and purchased a home because the interest rate was half on the mortgage of my student loan rate. Granted, it’s still a long time in paying it off but I saved a boat load on interest (and if refinance to a lower mortgage rate, even more savings).

2. Diane

I don’t expect to win any popularity votes with this comment. As a Guidance Counselor I have noticed a shift in the last several years. Many juniors & seniors are expressing concern about college loans. However, it all seems to end there. Why are students choosing to attend schools that cost $55,000/year when they have little or no money? Countless options for an excellent education are out there that cost 50, 60, 70% less.

Teens need to make mature decisions regarding money. True, they may have to sacrifice their “dream” school. Welcome to reality. Four years later you may want to drive a BMW but . . .

• MackK

Because starting salaries for graduates of a top-tier school are higher than low-tier schools and over a lifetime, that is a big shift in income potential.

3. Karen Jackson

I Am A Single Mother of 3 Boys 10 and under Living Below The Poverty Level Since I Left Graduate School. I cannot afford to pay 100,000.00 in student loan when I get $132 in food stamps/snap program. I feel because we are pawns on a chessboard we are not as important as Sallie Mae, Chase Manhattan, Bank of America,etc. to be bailed out of our debt. I do not want to be in debtors prison.

4. d.a.

My husband and I are both teachers. Our son and daughter were great students. Both received scholarships, worked while in school but needed loans to pay tuition, books, etc. Both have graduated and are teachers. One has his master’s degree and is currently enrolled in a doctorate program. Combined, they have a debt of $90,000. My husband and I are nearing retirement and will have to use a large portion of our retirement to help them pay off their loans. Another family member is unemployed due to health reasons, her husband is an alcoholic and is unemployed. Their son is a great student as well and has received a Bill Gates Millenium Scholarship. His tuition, books etc. are paid for. He will have to work to keep his grades up. I know my kids would not trade their lives for his and I am thankful for all the blessings we have received. But on the other hand I sometimes think hard-working middle class families are penalized for working.

5. Deb Fallon

I have 2 children who have successfully completed college and graduate school. Now their struggling to pay back Student Loans. Entry level professional positions do not cover the costs of living expenses and Student Loans. How low will our citizens survive on BB&J or Ramin Noodles?
    If we as a nation need an educated working class then we ( government) needs to help to achieve this goal. If this additional time spent in higher education servers no purpose then perhaps the movie “Planet of the Apes” ( the original) had a better perspective on American life than we’d like to accept!

6. Chrissy

Having a degree does not guarantee or secure a job of any kind. I obviously do not have a degree and to be honest, I’m glad I don’t either. I am skilled I have my CNA, BLS and medical terminology. I’ve worked with physicians to help patients. I’ve been a CNA for 8 years and at one point I was making 15 an hr. A family member of mine who has her Bachelors in social behavior and worked as a social worker for 10 years can’t find a job.

Education does not guarantee a job and people need to know that. These days it’s all about who you know and what they think you can do. I was offered a job at as a security guard although I have never done this before nor do I have any knowledge of what a security guard does… I was offered this job.

Education and medical is FAR TOO EXPENSIVE! We are living in a culture in decline and these upper high class individuals could really care less. This is a sad nation we live in.

7. Janey Haynes

Nowadays a college degree is needed to get a job with upward mobility, but at what cost? As a teacher in an urban high school, I’m told to get every student ready for college. I can do my part, but unless there is money available, most of my students will not make it. Even community colleges have had to raise tuition, making it even tougher for my kids to get a higher education to take them places. Something needs to be done, and soon, or we’re going to fall even further behind on the global job market!